POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Feb 2009 05:04:47
Message: <49a1233f$1@news.povray.org>
>> LOL. Riiiight...
>
> I'm serious. You're way too worried about this stuff.
>
> Don't spend much money. Just get funding and go. You have no obligations
> right now. It's the best time in your life to start something
> questionable like this.

Hmm. It has a flavour.

I guess it's just that I've spent my entire life surrounded by people
telling me how stupid I am, and generally failing at almost everything I
try to do. And given that a PhD is something that only a tiny percantage
of the population manage to get... it all sounds a little implausible to
me, that's all.

>>> Plus, you'll meet girls. :-)
>>
>> Oh. My. GOD! >_<
>>
>> You cannot *possibly* expect me to take anything else you say
>> seriously now, can you? :-P
>
> Know what? My wife has a PhD too. Know where I met her?

Heh. What do you have a PhD *in* though?

I rather doubt there are many females who have a PhD in anything
remotely related to computing. (I also couldn't help noticing how the
OU's PhD prospectus didn't seem to contain *any* people younger than 35...)

>> Heh. Actually, a few weeks back I did look at MSRC. But I couldn't
>> figure out what they were talking about. I surmised this probably
>> means I'm too stupid to be there. :-}
>
> No. It means you haven't done any sort of PhD work.
>
> It's like saying "I don't want to go to school to study mathematics,
> because every time I read a math paper I don't already understand it."

Like I say, I couldn't figure out the application process. Maybe because
I don't have a clear idea of how this stuff is supposed to work...

>> That's pretty impressive, right there.
>
> But that's how it works.

Heh. I can believe it.

> By the time I started actually writing the
> thesis, I'd already published papers in three or four journals, been to
> two countries on the school's money presenting the papers, and
> peer-reviewed other papers about vaguely similar topics. You meet people
> at these things, and they're expensive, so you get the school to pay for
> it.

That's pretty impressive... I've spent years writting silly scraps of
text, but I've never yet managed to write "a paper".

>> Taking a PhD for no apparent reason is slightly crazy, but I'm
>> gradually coming around to the idea. Leaving the UK is an absurd idea.
>> :-P
>
> It's not "no apparently reason."  Think of it like taking a job doing
> something fun, for not quite as much money as you might like, but
> probably still more than you're making now. :-)

Well, if you put it like that... ;-)

> Why is leaving the UK for a few years absurd?

I think spending all day in a brand new, possibly hostile environment is
quite enough to be dealing with, without living in a completely random
country on top of all that. (Quite apart from the fact that I have no
desire to leave the UK in the first place.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/