POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Feb 2009 04:52:17
Message: <49a12051@news.povray.org>
>> See, I don't give a **** about solving real-world problems. I only
>> care about solving "interesting" problems. ;-)
>
> What's interesting? Compiler optimization? Mathematics?

Anything with a neat algorithm in it? ;-)

Heh, I don't know...

>> I don't think anybody is "working" with Haskell. (As in, getting paid
>> money to use it.) I could be wrong, but it seems pretty rare.
>
> The guy writing GHC is getting paid for it, isn't he?

Er, NO. Nobody gets paid to work on GHC, AFAIK. It's a volunteer-led
open-source project. (Although, as I have mentioned, the few companies
who are using Haskell in commercial code all seem to employ people who
are also GHC developers. But they aren't paid to work on GHC, as such.)

> In any case, by the time I graduated, I was pretty sick of the field I
> was studying. I went to interview at Bellcore, and they talked to me
> about it, and I said "I'm pretty sick of it, really."  And they asked
> "What would be more interesting?"  I said "Dunno. Multimedia?"  And
> that's where I got a job.

Heh, nice.

>> Possibly my sanity? :-} (Did you *see* the links I posted?)
>
> Yes. And you know what? Those are people who picked a bad advisor. Pick
> an advisor who is motivated to get you to graduate, and he'll help you
> do so.

Hmm. Seems to me that trying to set up a PhD is almost as verilous as
trying to set up a decent job. Except that PhDs are much rarer. :-}

>> Meh. I tried making a list of cool things, and it ended up having
>> entries like "complex numbers. Because you can calculate stuff with
>> them!" Pretty retarded, eh?
>
> Not really. Keep going, is all. Spend some time thinking about it.
> You're not going to come up with the cool stuff yourself in a couple hours.
>
> Now when you read stuff for fun, think about "why is this fun? What's
> cool about it?"  Give it a couple of weeks of gathering cool stuff.

Mmm, OK...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/