POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Feb 2009 04:47:10
Message: <49a11f1e@news.povray.org>
>> 4. It is *highly* unlikely that having a PhD will make any kind of
>> positive change to my employment situation. Nobody is impressed by a
>> BSc, and I doubt a PhD will be any different. Everybody wants
>> "experience" and/or "people skills".
>
> Not true. If you're going for a technical position, even if it's
> unrelated to your field of study, the fact that you are capable of
> completing a PhD says a lot. It says you stick with the job, have a
> capacity and interest for learning, have experience in
> communication/dissemination, etc... and that's ignoring the
> field-specific skills.

Yes, but... having a BSc already says all those things. I spent 4 years
of my life studying for it, I learned all sorts of stuff, and in the end
I did actually get my BSc. And yet, nobody gives a **** about that. How
is a PhD different?

>>  8. Are you mental?
>
> I've got the wrong doctorate to answer that question impartially. :-)

LOL! Nice... :-)

> Speculative queries to research groups in fields that sound interesting
> are well worth it. You don't need to follow the impersonal rules of
> regular employment - if you find some prof with research interests that
> look your kind of thing, just email and ask for more information, and
> say what you're interested in. Worst case is they simply don't reply.

Well, maybe it's worth a giggle. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/