POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Dr POV-Ray (Message 101 to 110 of 176)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Dr SQL
Date: 21 Feb 2009 03:40:23
Message: <499FBDE7.8080805@hotmail.com>
On 21-2-2009 0:03, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>>> <insert asshole PhD comment here>
>> ok: Thanks for pointing out.
>
> Just to be clear, I was calling myself an ass for making fun of you for
> a mistake like that. I wasn't calling you that. I'm not sure what your
> response means you thought I meant. :-)

Just to be clear: I was totally unsure which of us you meant, it could
mean either, so I opted for an ambiguous comment. :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Dr POV-Ray
Date: 21 Feb 2009 04:18:34
Message: <slhvp41oaq27spfrjcebifepgefd7h5k7m@4ax.com>
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 15:07:28 +0100, "scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

>What % of people in Milton Keynes do you think can program in a functional
>language, know half of what you know about knot theory, and half of what you
>know about fourier transforms etc?  What % would even be capable of
>understanding?  I can tell you, not many.

You may have picked the wrong town. Milton Keynes is where the OU is based. :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 21 Feb 2009 04:24:29
Message: <suhvp4d8v15fea7i43uo3pn19p21omf15r@4ax.com>
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:21:18 +0000, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>See, I don't give a **** about solving real-world problems. I only care
>about solving "interesting" problems. ;-)

I've found that when I get paid to do something it mysteriously becomes
interesting ???
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 21 Feb 2009 05:51:27
Message: <aemvp4l78k7a3gnug18orvh5e8vntf3mtj@4ax.com>
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:33:27 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Having just discovered that I actually suck at Haskell, I think I'm the
>one who needs convincing. :-S

to ignore them. Don't look for reasons why you can't do something as you will
find plenty of them. Just say to yourself, I want it I will do it. Every time
you have self doubts force your mind away from those thoughts.
I want you to never, ever post self doubting comments here again. It only
reinforces your weakness. Try it for a season or two.
Here endeth the lesson, according to uncle Stevie.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 21 Feb 2009 07:42:10
Message: <499ff6a2$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 00:49:19 +0000, Bill Pragnell wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Being a piece of Vogon poetry, of course. :-)
>> I thought that was one from the pen of Grunthos the Flatulent?
>
> D'oh!  I must now go and hang my head in shame for goofing that up.
>
> Of course, you are correct.  Grunthos' poetry was deemed the second worst
> in the history of the universe.
>
> Who can name the first?  (Vogons were third)

Ah, well, that depends on which version you're most familiar with... I
think he changed the name from the radio series because of threatened
legal action!

PS RIP Grunthos... death by intestinal brain throttling.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Feb 2009 12:31:33
Message: <49a03a75$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:30:06 +0000, Bill Pragnell wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> I thought that was one from the pen of Grunthos the Flatulent?
>>
>> D'oh!  I must now go and hang my head in shame for goofing that up.
>>
>> Of course, you are correct.  Grunthos' poetry was deemed the second
>> worst in the history of the universe.
>>
>> Who can name the first?  (Vogons were third)
>
> Ah, well, that depends on which version you're most familiar with... I
> think he changed the name from the radio series because of threatened
> legal action!

I'm not sure if it was threatened legal action or just that he was
advised to not use a real name for the books - but you are correct, there
were two different people who received the honour of "worst poetry of
all" - originally it was "Paul Neil Milne Johnstone of Redbridge", but
later this was changed to Paula Nancy Milstone Jennings.

> PS RIP Grunthos... death by intestinal brain throttling.

Yes, gruesome way to go. :-)

I should mention as well, though, that Invis didn't use the proper name
of Grunthos' poem, either.  It is in fact "Ode to a small lump of green
putty I found in my armpit one midsummer's morning" IIRC (don't have my
copy of the scripts handy and I should know this from memory anyways, as
frequently as I've listened to the original series).

My brother and I used to fall asleep listening to episodes of the radio
series, and we'd quiz each other on the finer details.  Clearly I've lost
my touch a little bit. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 21 Feb 2009 14:15:43
Message: <49a052df$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> I should mention as well, though, that Invis didn't use the proper name
> of Grunthos' poem, either.  It is in fact "Ode to a small lump of green
> putty I found in my armpit one midsummer's morning" IIRC (don't have my
> copy of the scripts handy and I should know this from memory anyways, as
> frequently as I've listened to the original series).

I knew this. However, as I knew you were a hitch-hiker fan (I think
we've discussed this before at some point) I couldn't let you get away
with the slip! ;-)

> My brother and I used to fall asleep listening to episodes of the radio
> series, and we'd quiz each other on the finer details.  Clearly I've lost
> my touch a little bit. ;-)

Only one thing to do - refresh the memory!

I was too young to listen to them when they were first broadcast over
here, but my dad taped them so I grew up listening to them over and
over. He missed the bridging episode, broadcast out of sequence (I
believe it's fit the first on the second phase), so when I bought the
tapes years later it was a revelation!

I recently watched the film again, and it's really astounding how badly
they buggered up Zaphod's character in that version... pretty good apart
from that though.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Feb 2009 19:38:12
Message: <49a09e74@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:03:37 +0000, Bill Pragnell wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I should mention as well, though, that Invis didn't use the proper name
>> of Grunthos' poem, either.  It is in fact "Ode to a small lump of green
>> putty I found in my armpit one midsummer's morning" IIRC (don't have my
>> copy of the scripts handy and I should know this from memory anyways,
>> as frequently as I've listened to the original series).
>
> I knew this. However, as I knew you were a hitch-hiker fan (I think
> we've discussed this before at some point) I couldn't let you get away
> with the slip! ;-)

Fair enough - and I think you're right, we did talk about this one
before. :-)

>> My brother and I used to fall asleep listening to episodes of the radio
>> series, and we'd quiz each other on the finer details.  Clearly I've
>> lost my touch a little bit. ;-)
>
> Only one thing to do - refresh the memory!

Yep, it's coming up on time to start again to be prepared for Towel Day.

> I was too young to listen to them when they were first broadcast over
> here, but my dad taped them so I grew up listening to them over and
> over. He missed the bridging episode, broadcast out of sequence (I
> believe it's fit the first on the second phase), so when I bought the
> tapes years later it was a revelation!

:-)

I had them all on cassette, then a friend of mine in the UK bought me the
CDs - which have subsequently gone missing, so I've got another set now.

The thing I've been trying to find is a copy of the version that has
Marvin's bit (when they first land on Magrathea) where he plays "Rock 'n
Roll Music" after Arthur mentions that "that robot can hum like Pink
Floyd".  I could swear I heard it in the radio version once upon a time,
but now I only seem to be able to find it in the LP (I believe, I have
the LP here somewhere but don't have a turntable).

> I recently watched the film again, and it's really astounding how badly
> they buggered up Zaphod's character in that version... pretty good apart
> from that though.

Yeah, I didn't think Rockwell captured the character well at all.  I also
didn't think Mos Def made a convincing Ford, it often sounded he was just
reading the lines.

I didn't think anyone other than Peter Jones could do the voice of the
book, but both William Franklyn and Stephen Fry did a very good job with
it.  Still wish Peter could've done it, though.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Feb 2009 04:17:27
Message: <49a11827@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> to ignore them. Don't look for reasons why you can't do something as you will
> find plenty of them. Just say to yourself, I want it I will do it. Every time
> you have self doubts force your mind away from those thoughts.
> I want you to never, ever post self doubting comments here again. It only
> reinforces your weakness. Try it for a season or two.
> Here endeth the lesson, according to uncle Stevie.

OK, but I still think there's something to be said for knowing what your
real strengths and weaknesses actually are.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Feb 2009 04:24:35
Message: <49a119d3@news.povray.org>
>> Heh. Actually, a few weeks back I did look at MSRC. But I couldn't
>> figure out what they were talking about. I surmised this probably means
>> I'm too stupid to be there. :-}
>
> That doesn't mean your stupid [sic].  I'm sure many people in the field couldn't
> understand it because they haven't worked on it.  What's important is whether
> you can learn it, not whether you already know it.

No no - I mean, I couldn't figure out the application process...

>> Much as it would be fun to meet the legendary Simon PJ, I rather doubt
>> they have any PhD openings to do with Haskell right about now.
>
> Don't doubt it.  Find out, and you might find something else interesting along
> the way.

Heh. Now *that* I can do from my desk... ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/