POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Feb 2009 12:31:33
Message: <49a03a75$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:30:06 +0000, Bill Pragnell wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> I thought that was one from the pen of Grunthos the Flatulent?
>>
>> D'oh!  I must now go and hang my head in shame for goofing that up.
>>
>> Of course, you are correct.  Grunthos' poetry was deemed the second
>> worst in the history of the universe.
>>
>> Who can name the first?  (Vogons were third)
>
> Ah, well, that depends on which version you're most familiar with... I
> think he changed the name from the radio series because of threatened
> legal action!

I'm not sure if it was threatened legal action or just that he was
advised to not use a real name for the books - but you are correct, there
were two different people who received the honour of "worst poetry of
all" - originally it was "Paul Neil Milne Johnstone of Redbridge", but
later this was changed to Paula Nancy Milstone Jennings.

> PS RIP Grunthos... death by intestinal brain throttling.

Yes, gruesome way to go. :-)

I should mention as well, though, that Invis didn't use the proper name
of Grunthos' poem, either.  It is in fact "Ode to a small lump of green
putty I found in my armpit one midsummer's morning" IIRC (don't have my
copy of the scripts handy and I should know this from memory anyways, as
frequently as I've listened to the original series).

My brother and I used to fall asleep listening to episodes of the radio
series, and we'd quiz each other on the finer details.  Clearly I've lost
my touch a little bit. ;-)

Jim