POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Feb 2009 19:38:12
Message: <49a09e74@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:03:37 +0000, Bill Pragnell wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I should mention as well, though, that Invis didn't use the proper name
>> of Grunthos' poem, either.  It is in fact "Ode to a small lump of green
>> putty I found in my armpit one midsummer's morning" IIRC (don't have my
>> copy of the scripts handy and I should know this from memory anyways,
>> as frequently as I've listened to the original series).
>
> I knew this. However, as I knew you were a hitch-hiker fan (I think
> we've discussed this before at some point) I couldn't let you get away
> with the slip! ;-)

Fair enough - and I think you're right, we did talk about this one
before. :-)

>> My brother and I used to fall asleep listening to episodes of the radio
>> series, and we'd quiz each other on the finer details.  Clearly I've
>> lost my touch a little bit. ;-)
>
> Only one thing to do - refresh the memory!

Yep, it's coming up on time to start again to be prepared for Towel Day.

> I was too young to listen to them when they were first broadcast over
> here, but my dad taped them so I grew up listening to them over and
> over. He missed the bridging episode, broadcast out of sequence (I
> believe it's fit the first on the second phase), so when I bought the
> tapes years later it was a revelation!

:-)

I had them all on cassette, then a friend of mine in the UK bought me the
CDs - which have subsequently gone missing, so I've got another set now.

The thing I've been trying to find is a copy of the version that has
Marvin's bit (when they first land on Magrathea) where he plays "Rock 'n
Roll Music" after Arthur mentions that "that robot can hum like Pink
Floyd".  I could swear I heard it in the radio version once upon a time,
but now I only seem to be able to find it in the LP (I believe, I have
the LP here somewhere but don't have a turntable).

> I recently watched the film again, and it's really astounding how badly
> they buggered up Zaphod's character in that version... pretty good apart
> from that though.

Yeah, I didn't think Rockwell captured the character well at all.  I also
didn't think Mos Def made a convincing Ford, it often sounded he was just
reading the lines.

I didn't think anyone other than Peter Jones could do the voice of the
book, but both William Franklyn and Stephen Fry did a very good job with
it.  Still wish Peter could've done it, though.

Jim