POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh Debian Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Oh Debian (Message 6 to 15 of 15)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Oh Debian
Date: 13 Feb 2009 14:41:23
Message: <4995cce3$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> On a related note, and I'm sure I could track this down with enough
> googling, but I only spent about 10 minutes on it and didn't find
> anything that looked likely:  Can "apt" use "yum" repositories?
> Specifically, if there's a repository with software for "open suse", can
> Ubuntu manage packages from that easily?  How about RPM repositories?
> Most of the third-party repositories I see offer those two.

APT definitely works with RPM (according to Wikipedia).

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Feb 2009 15:10:00
Message: <4995d398$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:35:20 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> On a related note, and I'm sure I could track this down with enough
> googling, but I only spent about 10 minutes on it and didn't find
> anything that looked likely:  Can "apt" use "yum" repositories?
> Specifically, if there's a repository with software for "open suse", can
> Ubuntu manage packages from that easily?  How about RPM repositories?
> Most of the third-party repositories I see offer those two.

I don't think Apt can use RPM repos (which the openSUSE repos would be).
You can convert packages using alien, which I have done with some
success, though library names might be different (they were for a video
converter I was pointed at) so it takes a little work to get the package
working.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:41:23 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Darren New wrote:
>> On a related note, and I'm sure I could track this down with enough
>> googling, but I only spent about 10 minutes on it and didn't find
>> anything that looked likely:  Can "apt" use "yum" repositories?
>> Specifically, if there's a repository with software for "open suse",
>> can Ubuntu manage packages from that easily?  How about RPM
>> repositories? Most of the third-party repositories I see offer those
>> two.
>
> APT definitely works with RPM (according to Wikipedia).

Seen, this is what happens because I don't use Debian-derived systems. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message