POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh Debian : Re: Oh Debian Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh Debian
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Feb 2009 16:07:25
Message: <4995e10d$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> out of curiosity, what are his reasons for that recommendation?

Last time I asked him to configure some sophisticated stuff in OpenSuSE, it
was more desktoppy than servery, apparently. Like, the configuration of the
IP address and stuff sticks to the MAC address in SuSE, but to the card slot
in Ubuntu, so if you want to configure a disk you're going to mail to
someone to stick in a machine in a different city, it's harder with SuSE.
That was the bit that bit me, for example. Binding two network cards in a
fail-over configuration was apparently not as easy as it could be too.

I'm not real sure I got all his reasons, but he's been a UNIX guru since
well before Solaris was called SunOS, and he seemed to think it was
unnecessarily difficult to set things up there. So I asked "where do you
download RedHat from, or what do you use instead." He said Ubuntu. <shrug>

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"