POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh Debian : Re: Oh Debian Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh Debian
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Feb 2009 16:17:10
Message: <4995e356$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:07:20 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> out of curiosity, what are his reasons for that recommendation?
>
> Last time I asked him to configure some sophisticated stuff in OpenSuSE,
> it was more desktoppy than servery, apparently. Like, the configuration
> of the IP address and stuff sticks to the MAC address in SuSE, but to
> the card slot in Ubuntu, so if you want to configure a disk you're going
> to mail to someone to stick in a machine in a different city, it's
> harder with SuSE. That was the bit that bit me, for example. Binding two
> network cards in a fail-over configuration was apparently not as easy as
> it could be too.
>
> I'm not real sure I got all his reasons, but he's been a UNIX guru since
> well before Solaris was called SunOS, and he seemed to think it was
> unnecessarily difficult to set things up there. So I asked "where do you
> download RedHat from, or what do you use instead." He said Ubuntu.
> <shrug>

Thanks.  Network config is something that I've heard works very
differently, and even on SLES8 (granted, two major versions ago), it was
tied to MAC addresses which made imaging very difficult (especially as it
retained the old address and used it when the MAC changed - which I
thought was really odd).

I remember SunOS as well. :-)

Jim