POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Game recommendations (Message 1 to 10 of 52)
From: Warp
Subject: Game recommendations
Date: 6 Feb 2009 15:41:51
Message: <498ca08f@news.povray.org>
With the recent gaming-related threads, I thought about creating one
myself: Do you have any game gems which you would recommend people to try?
Maybe an older game which most people have forgotten, which is still today
as great as back then? Or a game which didn't get too much media attention
but is actually incredibly cool?

  Here are some of the games I own, which I have liked quite a lot:

- Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive, and its much later sequel,
  Desperados 2: Cooper's revenge.

  The first game is so old that it's actually 2D (well, old-style 3D
in isometric perspective). It's a bit like a real-time strategy, except
that it concentrates on puzzles rather than on resource gathering and
troops building. The problems to solve can be quite contrived, and there's
seldom one single correct solution.
  The sequel is in 3D, but continues with the same basic idea.

- Grim Fandango. Every gaming website always has this game on their top
list of best games in history, praising it for its ingenuity and writing,
yet it seems that people still don't know it. It's a very old game, but
still works well.

- The Longest Journey. Old point-and-click adventure, which is rather good,
and refreshingly different from the Lucasarts' games.
  There's also a more recent sequel (apparently intended to be the first
part of a trilogy), which was quite ok, I guess.

- Beyond Good & Evil. A very "consoleish" game (published, not surprisingly,
for game consoles but also for Windows), which is rather good, but went
mostly unnoticed due to bad timing (other contemporary titles overshadowed
it completely, and it got very little attention). Maybe not one of the
greatest games of all times, but definitely enjoyable.

- The Prince of Persia "sands of time trilogy". You should get the trilogy
box (named "Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, special edition") rather
cheap nowadays, so you should definitely check it if you haven't played
the games.

- Call of Juarez. A more conventional first-person shooter, but with a
great story.

- Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault. I actually bought a box with three MoH
games (Allied Assault and Airborne), but this is the one which I liked the
most. Conventional first-person shooter, maybe not as story-heavy as Call
of Juarez, but cool.

  On the PSP we have:

- Final Fantasy I and II. These are basically the original FF1 and FF2
for the NES, but remade for the PSP with better graphics and audio, and
some extras (such as bonus dungeons). Purely 2D tile-based graphics, but
they still succeed in being more addictive than most modern 3D games I
have played. If you like jRPGs and own a PSP, these are a must have.

- Tales of Eternia. If you like jRPGs, you'll like this one too. A more
modern jRPG.

- Patapon. The idea of the game sounds ridiculous, but the game is
surprisingly addictive.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message