POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations : Re: Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game recommendations
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Feb 2009 18:42:47
Message: <498ccaf7$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Myst and Riven (and to a lesser extent the sequels) are the best, obviously.
>
>   I found Riven to be a bit too difficult to be completely enjoyable.
> The hints are often really obscure, and most of the time you just wander
> around trying random things, to no avail. It can get expasperating. In fact,
> I got stuck at some point so badly that I couldn't finish the game.

I got stuck a couple of times, often because I couldn't figure out what in
the scene was a button. (Like, the button to call the cable car outside the
temple was completely non-obvious to me, or I was pushing it in the wrong
place, or something.)

One of the things I like about those games is that you can say "Hmmm... I
need to get over *there*... And there's steps up *here*... and a path *that*
way... so I must need to get behind *that* rock to find the entrance." You
can count on the 3D-ness making enough sense that you can find what you're
looking for.

But yes, Riven definitely had more subtle clues, and more non-obvious
places-you-had-to-click than the other games.  I think I got stuck three or
four times and had to take a break for a few days or a couple weeks before I
realized what I was doing wrong.

The other games were more obviously "puzzle" games - you knew which key you
were looking for, or what parts you had to put together to make something
go, or which map you had to find. Riven was more "real world" IIRC.

>   I still own the CDs, though. Maybe I should try it again sometime.
> I wonder if it will work on Windows XP.

It does. I don't remember if you need to install it strangely, but I played
it more recently than I gave up on Win98.  Thief requires a command-line
switch to install on NT-class machines, telling it to ignore that NT doesn't
have DX.

If you pick it up again and get stuck, feel free to ask for a hint. I'll try
to offer one that's minimally revealing. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"