POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  A second comming (Message 51 to 60 of 85)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: A second comming
Date: 13 Feb 2009 13:01:46
Message: <4995b58a$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> braking was locking the rear wheels :-)

Funky enough, the cruise control on my Camry will downshift the transmission
going downhill to keep the speed in range.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Feb 2009 13:04:40
Message: <4995b638$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:24:33 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>> No.
>>
>>Well, I was making a joke - if it touched too close to home, please
>>accept my most sincere apologies.
>>
> No you didn't, I'm long past caring what people think 'cause I can't
> spell or read big books. :)

Good man. :-)  I didn't think I'd caused offense, but with a one-word
answer it's hard to tell.

> I do get pissed off with people who don't take the trouble to check
> their spelling especially when they know they can't spell. I even use
> "Word" when I'm writing a hand written note or letter. But then I'm from
> a generation where it was considered important U no wat I meen?

Same here, though I don't often write anything by hand anymore.  I need
to have a doctor check out my hand (mentioned a few months ago up here)
because I get really bad cramps if I use a pen too long.  Signing my name
and dating a document are about the extent of what I write any more with
a pen.

>>I could see that.  I often will spell something the way I think it's
>>spelt and it doesn't look right.  In my newsreader, of course, it
>>doesn't look right because of the squiggly red line underneath the word.
>>
> I've switched that feature off in my newsreader. It would drive me mad
> seeing other posts :lol:

Ah, see, in my newsreader, it's only on in the message composition
window. :-)

>>I occasionally get grief from people about it, or light joking about it.
>>One of my coworkers noticed it a few years ago and asked me about it -
>>not because he was anything other than curious, though - his background
>>is linguistics.
>>
>>I don't know why I started using Queen's English spellings, though -
>>just became a habit.  Possibly because I spent a lot of my time writing
>>to brits. :-)
>>
> If you can't beet them, join them ;)

LOL.  Yeah, I guess that might be part of it.

> Did you know that the term "Brit" used to be offensive? It was used by
> the Irish republicans during the troubles and was not complimentary ;)
> Nowadays the word is in favour.

I didn't know that - thanks!  Another day with something learned, another
day not wasted. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message