POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming : Re: A second comming Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A second comming
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Feb 2009 17:42:47
Message: <4995f767$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 00:32:11 +0200, Eero Ahonen wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Ah, I've never driven a 6-speed vehicle.  From higher gears it would
>> probably be less of an issue,
>
> It's not that different from a 5-speeder, with which I'd probably go
> 5-4-2 or 5-3-2.
>
> OTOH with my own car (that summertoy I wrecked, Saab 9000) I've done
> 1-2-5 a lot when accelerating to 80km/h.

Most of my experience was with a 3-speed.  My automatic (which I drive
now) is also a 3-speed.

On the manual, I would go from 1st to 3rd - going up gears is a bit
different than going down, going down you drive the engine revs up
dramatically.

>> but dropping from 3 to 1 can redline the engine, at least IME.
>
> At least usually yes, at least if you're not running on very low revs on
> 3.
>
>> Yes, effective use of the clutch in that type of situation would also
>> help - since it would engage/disengage the engine from the drivetrain.
>
> It would've been wise thing to at first stage, while then I wouldn't had
> to get traction back nor wait for it, 'cause I wouldn't had lost it at
> first place.

Yeah, if I drove a manual now, the clutch would be another tool I'd use.
In an automatic, you can shift to neutral with similar effect, but with a
lot less control.

Jim