POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming : Re: A second comming Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A second comming
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 13 Feb 2009 17:42:49
Message: <4995f769@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:53:30 +0200, Eero Ahonen wrote:
>
>> Yes, also on drum brakes. But why on earth would you engage brakes
>> fully, if you're not trying to stop the car as quickly as possible?
>
> Because slamming on the brakes on ice doesn't have that effect.

True, but the optimal braking with almost locked tires is pretty hard
thing to do - usually it's much wiser to just hit the brakes fully, if
you're trying to stop the car ASAP for some reason.

> Yes, but that's the reason to do that.  Similarly, for going down steep
> inclines, using the engine to slow the vehicle down rather than the
> brakes keeps you from burning the brakes out.

Yes, engine braking is certainly more economical than using brakes (it
saves both brakes and fuel).

> I don't do it on ice.  You can (and I can) lock the wheels driving at 50
> MPH with the brakes, but that also is likely to cause an uncontrollable
> skid - though a shorter one - and often that is more desirable than
> running into whatever it is that you're braking hard to avoid.

Yep, and the same laws work also on ice and on snow, braking distances
just grow even exponentially.

> Jim

-Aero