POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Map routing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Map routing (Message 21 to 28 of 28)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Map routing
Date: 28 Jan 2009 04:15:03
Message: <49802217$1@news.povray.org>
> I have a 1 GB flash drive in my pocket. It cost me £2. How much space do
> you think they have to play with in a satnav device?

My SatNav comes on a DVD, so max 9GB (for all roads in western Europe).
IIRC TomTom etc the map data comes on a memory card, perhaps 1-4GB depending
on which map data set you get?

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 28 Jan 2009 04:20:11
Message: <4980234b$1@news.povray.org>
> Depends on your definition of "optimal". (E.g., total distance, verses
> estimated travel time, any tolls that have to be paid for certain routes,
> traffic volume, etc.)

On most systems I think you get to choose whether you want the shortest or
fastest route, the option to enable/disable motorways, tolls, ferries,
tunnels etc.  Some systems even self-adjust the road weightings based on
your driving style.  eg if you always drive at 220 km/hr on the autobahns it
will take this into account when calculating the routing.

The other thing that is cool, is that when it tells you to turn right in 1
km, it knows exactly which place names will be written on the roadsign, so
you can easy double-check that you are taking the correct turning.

Post a reply to this message

>> I have a 1 GB flash drive in my pocket. It cost me £2. How much space
>> do you think they have to play with in a satnav device?
>
> My SatNav comes on a DVD, so max 9GB (for all roads in western Europe).
> IIRC TomTom etc the map data comes on a memory card, perhaps 1-4GB
> depending on which map data set you get?

Indeed. So it can't be *that* hard to fit all the map into the space;
it's pretty cavernous. ;-)

Post a reply to this message