POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Map routing : Re: Map routing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Map routing
From: scott
Date: 28 Jan 2009 04:20:11
Message: <4980234b$1@news.povray.org>
> Depends on your definition of "optimal". (E.g., total distance, verses
> estimated travel time, any tolls that have to be paid for certain routes,
> traffic volume, etc.)

On most systems I think you get to choose whether you want the shortest or
fastest route, the option to enable/disable motorways, tolls, ferries,
tunnels etc.  Some systems even self-adjust the road weightings based on
your driving style.  eg if you always drive at 220 km/hr on the autobahns it
will take this into account when calculating the routing.

The other thing that is cool, is that when it tells you to turn right in 1
km, it knows exactly which place names will be written on the roadsign, so
you can easy double-check that you are taking the correct turning.