POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Map routing : Re: Map routing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Map routing
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 28 Jan 2009 13:49:56
Message: <4980a8d4$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> I wasn't talking about the size. I was talking about the format.  As in,
> how do you represent the paths of the road, the locations of services,
> etc etc, in such a way that the machine can tell you "make the second
> left in X miles".  My machine even tells me if I'm on a 5-lane road and
> two lanes are exit-only, drawing the picture and telling me to keep to
> one side or the other.

I would imagine it's some kind of space partitioning method, similar to
how a game engine figures out with world polygons are "near to" where
you're currently standing. ;-)

Actually the video data for displaying the map and the topological data
for route planning are probably seperate. I would guess.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/