POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crysis? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Crysis? (Message 31 to 40 of 47)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Game technology
Date: 26 Jan 2009 17:24:10
Message: <497e380a@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Actually, to be honest, I have no clue how you even implement something
> like a bot for an FPS in the first place. The CSS bots are better than
> anything *I* could implement! o_O

Damn, you had to include that paragraph... Just as I was about to reply "go
make your own then".

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Crysis?
Date: 26 Jan 2009 17:25:31
Message: <497e385b@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Well, I played Quake II from beginning to end. Not easy when you don't
> have a 3D card! (I wonder - are modern games even *playable* without
> one?) And then I played it all again on a machine that had 3D
> acceleration.
>
> The next game I played was Halflife. Now, I don't know what other games
> existed at the time, but compared to Quake II, Halflife was a hell of a
> lot different.

How big were either of those games? Try this one, 96 kilobytes. You'll take
less than an hour to beat it though :)

http://www.theprodukkt.com/kkrieger

Post a reply to this message

> How big were either of those games? Try this one, 96 kilobytes.

I was thinking about that. If you start comparing a 64K program on a
Commodore 64 to a 64K program on Windows with DirectX 10 installed, you get
entirely different kinds of programs. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message

> > How big were either of those games? Try this one, 96 kilobytes.

> I was thinking about that. If you start comparing a 64K program on a
> Commodore 64 to a 64K program on Windows with DirectX 10 installed, you get
> entirely different kinds of programs. :-)

  The 96 kB is slightly less impressive when you think that it's using
a humongous multimedia library installed in all Windows systems (namely
DirectX).

  I wonder how much larger the program would become if it had to draw
everything in software...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   The 96 kB is slightly less impressive when you think that it's using
> a humongous multimedia library installed in all Windows systems (namely
> DirectX).

The thing is, many textures would be larger than 96KB by themselves if they
were compressed bitmaps!

Post a reply to this message

>> Actually, to be honest, I have no clue how you even implement something
>> like a bot for an FPS in the first place. The CSS bots are better than
>> anything *I* could implement! o_O
>
> Damn, you had to include that paragraph... Just as I was about to reply "go
> make your own then".

It's something I'd love to do, except that

1. I have no idea how to program AI.
2. I have no idea how to program in C.

Post a reply to this message