POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crysis? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Crysis? (Message 21 to 30 of 47)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Crysis?
Date: 26 Jan 2009 07:00:35
Message: <497da5e3$1@news.povray.org>
>>>     <sniff> Don't do that to me. I'm sad now... <sniff>  :/

>> Heh. Well, yours is a 6-series. Then they made the 7-series. After that
>> came the 8-series. Then there was the 9-series (which is really just
>> rebadged versions of the 8-series - hence unpopular). Now we have the
>> 200-series. And... according to the numbers above, it's "only" 8x faster.
>> 2004 for the 6-series, 2008 for the 200-series. So in 4 years, it's "only"
>> got 8x faster. Ho hum!
>
>       Well, that's ok.

LOL!

>> Well, I guess if I feel rich enough I could always add a second GTX260 at
>> some point... I *do* have an SLI motherboard. >:-D
>
>       I was going to suggest that but people seem to have problems running
> it.

In the majority of benchmarks I've seen, SLI is either the same speed,
or *slower* than a single GPU. (!!) o_O

However, with more recent benchmarks that seems to be changing. In the
very latest benchmarks, 2-way and 3-way (and even 4-way) SLI does
actually come out (sometimes a lot) faster. I have no idea why this
would be the case; maybe until now games tended to be CPU-bound? Or
maybe it's a bandwidth issue somewhere?

Anyway, I only have 2-way SLI available, so... ;-)

(And as I say, I'd sooner build a new PC then run two GPUs. Probably
much bigger return on investment there!)

>>>     You won't be disappointed! :)

>> I ****ing will if it doesn't work with my motherboard! o_O
>>
>> (The card is PCI Express 2.0 - and I'm not sure that my motherboard is.)
>
>     I found these quotes just now:
>
>  "It doesn't matter, PCI-E 2.0 cards will work on PCI-E 1.x systems as well.
> The PCI-E 2.0 spec is a fairly new one (Jan 2007). Currently, only the X38
> chipset from Intel and the nForce 7 from NVIDIA support PCI-E 2.0."

Well that's nice to know. :-}

Seriously, Tom's Hardware is great for figuring out the latest
up-to-the-minute trends. But if you haven't been following this stuff
for a while, it's really hard to find a good overview for quickly
getting up to speed again...

>> I bought it using the super-hyper-ultra-mega-saver delivery option. So...
>> next week? Maybe?
>>
>> (It's daft really; if you want it tomorrow, gotta pay lots of money. But
>> if you go with the cheap delivery option, often it arrives the next day
>> *anyway*! :-P But we'll see...)
>
>       You'll get it tomorrow then.

Heh. Actually this time it looks like they're going to purposely not put
it in the mail until Friday. Presumably this is a ploy to force more
people to hand over extra cash. :-P

Post a reply to this message