POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crysis? : Re: Crysis? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crysis?
From: Warp
Date: 26 Jan 2009 10:36:33
Message: <497dd880@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> If you mean read the writing on walls, then they're already there in a
> lot of games.

> As for "believable character animation," the answer is yes.  Many
> current generation games use motion tracking for the animation,
> resulting in quite realistic movement.

  One trend in gaming which seems to be becoming popular is to try to make
the games as immersive as possible.

  First-person shooters are pictured from the point of view of the
character itself, but still the vast majority of FPS games fail to be
*really* immersive, like you *really* were there, rather than feeling
that you are simply watching the TV.

  Some games are slowly making the way to more immersiveness. There was
a game demo, which name I now fail to remember, about some kind of soldier
in a heated battlefield, which was awesomely immersive. I don't know if it
was just a pre-rendered demo or real-time, but at least it could have been
real-time.

  Another game which succeeds pretty well in immersiveness is Mirror's Edge.
I was so impressed by the demo that I had to buy the game.

  Mirror's Edge also has a rather peculiar style. Rather than aim for
absolute realism in how the environments are rendered, there's a mixture
of realistic models and stylistic texturing. The texturing may not be
realistic, but more artistic, but it works surprisingly well.

--
                                                          - Warp