POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crysis? : Re: Crysis? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crysis?
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Jan 2009 13:36:21
Message: <497e02a5@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> you to run around, flicking the occasional switch,

That was the other thing. The keys to progress were all different. It wasn't
like Quake, for example, where you're running around looking for *keys*, or
Doom3 which (as far as I can see from what I know of it) you get thru doors
by finding PDAs and passwords and such.  You had mortar rounds, fan buttons,
jet engines, train gates, etc etc etc you had to figure out, and they all
made sense.

> The physics feature was also pretty neat - and, AFAIK, brand new in
> gaming at that time. (Of course, today seemingly *all* games in this
> class feature it.)

Even Thief3, except they don't use it for anything, as far as I've found. :-)

> Also, I wonder: Will games ever reach the stage where textures are
> sufficiently high resolution that you can actually read the writing on
> stuff??

In games where it matters, yes. The Myst series, for example, has all kinds
of clues in books (being a story about magical books, you see), so you have
to be able to read them.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"