POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Enya does it again Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Enya does it again (Message 44 to 53 of 63)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Enya does it again
Date: 22 Jan 2009 16:52:53
Message: <fkqhn4964v3afsth3bl97r5v378ngg7m1b@4ax.com>
On 22 Jan 2009 11:17:38 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:32:22 +0000, Invisible wrote:
>
>> Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> I dare you not to sing along to Beethoven's setting of "Ode to Joy" (An
>>> die Freude).
>>
>> 1. That was Beethoven?
>>
>> 2. There are *words*??
>
><facepalm>

Indeed <facepalm>
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Jan 2009 17:10:48
Message: <4978eee8@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:02:07 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Well, yes, I think that's right. And given the record player, it
> probably wasn't the whole symphony. (I guess "Ode to Joy" is just the
> last movement, then, yes?)

Yes, only in the final movement.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: bluetree
Date: 23 Jan 2009 06:33:06
Message: <4979AAC9.4050100@yahoo.de>
Stephen wrote:
> Dietrich Fisher-Dieskau ;)

Gorgeous! So beautiful!

Have you also seen Faust by Charles Gounod?
I've never went to the opera.
But I watched an old play of Faust.

---
bluetree

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 23 Jan 2009 08:46:59
Message: <b3ijn4tsml7fsga8gbn0mqt5rul3eugq5h@4ax.com>
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:32:25 +0100, bluetree <sea### [at] yahoode> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> Dietrich Fisher-Dieskau ;)
>>

>Gorgeous! So beautiful!

Sad and beautiful is Mahler's Kindertotenlieder
Yes I listen to "lieder" as well. (English usage)

>Have you also seen Faust by Charles Gounod?

Yes, I've seen it a few times sung in English and in French. The English version
at the ENO was one of the best and most glamorous productions I've ever been to.
The French version at the ROH was very dark especially when Marguerite was
tormented by the witches (a ballet).
But Hey! The music is stirring.

I also love Berlioz's The Damnation of Faust.

>I've never went to the opera.
>But I watched an old play of Faust.

The only play about Faust that I have seen was by the 17th century English
playwright Christopher Marlowe, The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus. In fact
one of my most over used quotations is from it:
"Why this is hell, nor am I out of it.
Think'st thou that I, who saw the face of God,
And tasted the eternal joys of heaven,
Am not tormented with ten thousand hells
In being deprived of everlasting bliss?"
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message