POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. (Message 51 to 60 of 219)
From: triple r
Subject: Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
Date: 21 Jan 2009 15:10:01
Message: <web.497780a3c995525def2b9ba40@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> So from this, and hearing that it would actually take an eternity (as seen from
> an outside observer) to *reach* the event horizon, it sounds logical to me that
> in fact the event horizon *is* the singularity...

Again, from the book since I probably can't state it any better:

"In this case, we will find that while the surface r=2m has some unusual
properties, the singularity is due to the choice of coordinates, and so is a
*coordinate singularity*.  Simply put, by using a different set of coordinates
we can write the metric in such a way that the singularity at r=2m is removed.
However, we will see that the point r=0 is due to infinite curvature and cannot
be removed by a change in the coordinates."

I may be guilty of having implied that the curvature is infinite at the event
horizon, but it looks like only the redshift to an outside observer is.  Kinda
learning this as I go, so you'll have to forgive me.

I know most of this is focused on general relativity, but here's a nifty program
for exploring special relativity:

http://realtimerelativity.org/

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message