POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: nemesis
Date: 21 Jan 2009 16:34:30
Message: <497794e6@news.povray.org>
clipka escreveu:
> I think that as a person closes in to the event horizon, (a) from his
> perspective the *universe* will begin to collapse to a singularity (although
> not a point, but rather a line), and (b) the event horizon will appear to
> recede - until he hits the singularity, which in this sense is again identical
> to the event horizon.

Will he or any matter draw into the blackhole ever hit the singularity?
  Does the singularity or blackholes even exist or are merely the point
where GR equations break?

We're doing no better than ancient philosophers trying to split the
matter and thinking about its outcome without a shred of evidence or
measurements... which is the point of the GM guy in the article this
thread links to:

"We start with effects actually seen in the lab, which I think gives it
more credibility than black holes"

evidence.

> What happens then? Well - I guess that poor sod just falls through.
> Back into the universe - which by then has aged by an infinite amount of time.
> The only thing the poor guy suffered will be that he'll be turned around by 180
> degrees when emerging from the singularity...
>
> From an observer's point of view, the guy should thus appear at the other side
> of the EH (and again take infinite time to get out of it).

If we assume blackholes exist, without much evidence so far, how about
going even further in the imagination?  What if our 4D space-time isn't
but a section of higher dimensional spaces, like a julia fractal section
rendered in povray?  Perhaps the blackhole is then just a curve along
this surface and the poor fellow ends up in another region of
space-time.  The original outside observer will never see him again,
unless he goes all the way back through the worm hole...

> You remember the famous greek thought experiment about Achilleus trying to catch
> up with a turtle, and being unable to - because whenever he reaches the point
> where the turtle was, the turtle will have crawled yet another bit ahead?
>
> I guess we have a similar paradoxon here: An outside observer will see things
> from the greek philosophers' point of view, in which a person heading for the
> EH will never reach it. The poor victim, however, sees things from the classic
> everyday perspective we know: He can just run past the turtle, no problem.

Those greeks philosophers were just full of marijuana.  And pasta.  They
were first possibly the first thinkers of mankind to think too much on
far too abstract subjects rather than more mundane and practical
matters... :P