POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: nemesis
Date: 21 Jan 2009 16:43:25
Message: <497796fd@news.povray.org>
clipka escreveu:
>> It's possible I got that wrong.  Indeed, it's possible I don't know anything
>> at all about the subject that I think I do. :-)  Were this an actual
>> scientific forum, I'd have shut up a long time ago.
>
> Well, same with me - but that's the fun part about it: Nobody *expects* us to
> know what we're talking about, so we can let our imagination run wild ;)

Don't worry, you guys!  Even scientists let their imaginations run wild
too...

This was a very interesting thread, despite being a very difficult and
misunderstood subject among laymen.  But I'm actually amazed by how few
were drawn to it.  I thought most geeks love space talk and povray is
full of geeks after all! :D

>>> AIUI the cosmological horizon is just the distance we can see *now*. Everything
>>> beyond will become visible to us over time. Theoretically speaking.
>> Oh, the event horizon. No, I think it's caused by space itself expanding,
>> due to the big bang sort of thing.  If it all collapses again, that's a
>> different question.
>
> But if it all collapses again, then we couldn't have such an event horizon,
> right? After all, it would all "boil down" (literally ;)) to a single point
> again, where all the stuff will be able to interact once more...

Since we're speculating, if space is really expanding, do you think in
absolute terms we're now much larger than dinosaurs back in their day?
Of course, fossils won't tell, cause they expanded ever since too. ;)

> (Then again, currently scientists claim we'll all be ripped to pieces one day by
> the ever-faster expanding space within us all... hmmm... "the space within us" -
> sounds a bit hippie-ish ;)

I don't want to live to see proton decay!  well, not that I would
anyway... :P