POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: clipka
Date: 21 Jan 2009 16:20:01
Message: <web.4977912bc995525dbdc576310@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "In this case, we will find that while the surface r=2m has some unusual
> properties, the singularity is due to the choice of coordinates, and so is a
> *coordinate singularity*.  Simply put, by using a different set of coordinates
> we can write the metric in such a way that the singularity at r=2m is removed.
> However, we will see that the point r=0 is due to infinite curvature and cannot
> be removed by a change in the coordinates."

Hm... yeah, maybe that's a mathematical way to describe what I'm currently
pondering: If we choose the falling victim's co-ordinates (location, time,
speed and all) a reference frame instead of that of a "fixed" outside observer,
we move the singularity from r=2m towards r=0 - from the Schwartzschild-Radius
(the "classic" EH) towards the "classic" singularity...

So I'd say the EH is the projection of the singularity into the reference frame
of an observer...

> I may be guilty of having implied that the curvature is infinite at the event
> horizon, but it looks like only the redshift to an outside observer is.  Kinda
> learning this as I go, so you'll have to forgive me.

Not a problem at all - as it seems, we're all in that same boat here ;)