POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. (Message 111 to 120 of 219)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
Date: 22 Jan 2009 13:10:08
Message: <4978b680$1@news.povray.org>
Warp escreveu:
> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> We're actually cruising unknown frontiers at speeds vastly superior to
>> 200km/sec
>
>   With respect to what?
>
>   Motion is always relative.

to the center of the galaxy?

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 22 Jan 2009 13:11:09
Message: <4978b6bd@news.povray.org>
Warp escreveu:
> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Which also begs the philosophical question of whether passing
>> through the EH leads to a whole new universe beginning from yet another
>> big bang...
>
>   I don't think the spacetime geometry inside the event horizon of a
> black hole would allow for a universe to exist in there.

In there or out there? ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 22 Jan 2009 13:12:25
Message: <4978b709$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis escreveu:
> Warp escreveu:
>> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>> Which also begs the philosophical question of whether passing through
>>> the EH leads to a whole new universe beginning from yet another big
>>> bang...
>>
>>   I don't think the spacetime geometry inside the event horizon of a
>> black hole would allow for a universe to exist in there.
>
> In there or out there? ;)

I believe the singularity could only get a proper artistic rendering
from Escher. :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 22 Jan 2009 13:12:48
Message: <4978b71f@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Warp escreveu:
> > nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> >> We're actually cruising unknown frontiers at speeds vastly superior to
> >> 200km/sec
> >
> >   With respect to what?
> >
> >   Motion is always relative.
> >
> to the center of the galaxy?

  Well, I suppose that since we are in a rotating frame of reference, and
given that it's physically possible (at least in theory) to determine an
inertial frame of reference centered at the center of our galaxy, we could
be moving at that speed with respect to this inertial frame of reference.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message