POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jan 2009 13:21:32
Message: <4978b92c@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> You'd wind up changing the course of the black hole much less than you'd
>> change the course of your spaceship, is all.
>
>   The black hole would have to be moving towards the general direction
> of Earth, in that case.

I don't have the math to be sure that's true.  Wouldn't it be possible to
make it moving away less quickly?

I mean, certainly if there's a solid object moving away from you, you can
land on it and jump off and go up. Stand on a trampoline going 1 MPH
downwards - can you jump up?

You might be right, tho, if there's no physical contact, but as I say I
don't want to learn the math to figure it out. :-)

>   But you get tons of other problems, as I described in my post. :P

Yah. I posted before I read that, methinks.

>   As very massive objects, and ones usually formed from collapsing stars
> (the collapse leaving behind tons of stuff), I think it would be rather
> difficult to find "naked" black holes, without the accompanying stuff.

Unless you manufactured it yourself, yes. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"