POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. (Message 101 to 110 of 219)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
Date: 22 Jan 2009 12:31:23
Message: <4978ad6b$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Talk about atoms - the ancient greeks "invented" them.

Yes, and they also didn't believe in irrational numbers even after they were
proved to exist. So I don't think you can pick one success out of history
and call it a "prediction".

I mean, there's really only two or three possibilities: Stuff is atoms,
stuff is continuous, stuff is a mixture. :-)

The greeks had no evidence of atoms, as far as I know. It was just a guess.
It wasn't until Mendeleev (or the work that lead up to the periodic table)
or so that people actually had evidence that atoms were the right answer.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message