POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Warp
Date: 22 Jan 2009 12:57:31
Message: <4978b38a@news.povray.org>
> QM also
> says you can't have two fermions in the same quantum state in the same
> place.

  At least not in normal, almost-cartesian space, with extremely weak
gravity.

  How about inside space which is so curved that it forms an event
horizon because of a practically infinite gravity?-)

  Gravity is such a weak force in normal situations that you usually don't
have to even take it into account when making QM calculations. However,
inside a black hole gravity, rather obviously, overwhelms all other
forces and becomes absolutely dominant. What happens to eg. fermions
when gravity is immensely stronger than eg. the strong nuclear force?

  Under such pressures matter degenerates. Do fermions even stay as
fermions, or do they degenerate to something more elemental? Something
which might not be bound to QM laws?

> >   The thing is, if GR equations are right, and there is a lot of evidence
> > suggesting that they are,

> ... at the macroscopic level ...

> But a singularity is, by definition, microscopic. :-)

  Gravity is in effect also at subatomic levels, even though it's often
ignored because it's so weak in normal circumstances.

> > There's no known way for matter/energy to stop going towards this center.

> You wouldn't think a single electron could be larger than a house, either,
> but they've done that in a laboratory.

  "You wouldn't think" is different from "there's no known way". The
former is something related to my intuition. The latter is related to
current scientifical global knowledge.

  (Well, always with a big "AFAIK". I'm *not* a scientist.)

--
                                                          - Warp