POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Warp
Date: 22 Jan 2009 12:40:42
Message: <4978af9a@news.povray.org>
> You'd wind up changing the course of the black hole much less than you'd
> change the course of your spaceship, is all.

  The black hole would have to be moving towards the general direction
of Earth, in that case.

> I also think the black hole would be better, because you can get closer and
> get a bigger time dilation from the gravity also.

  But you get tons of other problems, as I described in my post. :P

> > - The humongous amounts of radiation around a black hole would probably
> > be enough to fry you to ashes in a fraction of a second,

> FWIW, it's the accretion disk that generates the radiation, so you could
> kill two birds with one stone by finding one without.

  As very massive objects, and ones usually formed from collapsing stars
(the collapse leaving behind tons of stuff), I think it would be rather
difficult to find "naked" black holes, without the accompanying stuff.

--
                                                          - Warp