POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: nemesis
Date: 22 Jan 2009 12:57:50
Message: <4978b39e@news.povray.org>
clipka escreveu:
> "nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Interestingly though, the real-existing phenomenon of "black holes" was
> originally a purely hypothetical prediction of GR - not some already known
> effect that needed to be explained. And it did predict their properties quite
> well as it seems. So this is strong evidence that the GR is a very good tool to
> make predictions.

It is, no doubt.  A very solid model, which QM enthusiasts are still
plotting to supplant. :)

Evidence was found of objects with imense gravitational fields occupying
relatively tiny areas in space and this matches with GR's predictions.
But there's as of yet no evidence that singularities physically exist or
that matter entering a blackhole is forever lost, except as a somewhat
vague Hawking radiation...

So, the QM guys thought it would be a good idea to imagine an alternate
model to explain such objects without relying on singularities and lost
information.  And it's testable in lab, right here on Earth.  Of course,
they are trying to somehow fit the lab effect to the observable
phenomena, but without explaining why such effect would occur in the
surface of stars...

> So in order to show that *their* theory is at least an equally good tool, they
> would actually have to demonstrate how their own theory explains not only the
> same *phenomenons* as GR, but *postulates GR itself* - or demonstrate how their
> theory is just a different way of looking at GR.

QM so far has made good predictions is the small, very small. :)

> BTW, speaking of it: When falling into a black hole I guess it may be best not
> to try to fight the inevitable... suppose you manage to stay at a fixed
> distance from the center - with all the blueshift of the photons falling in,
> you're gonna get your daily maximum dose of gamma rays in a few split
> seconds... so better fall in to experience the same blue shift (effectively
> leaving the shift unchanged from your perspective) and hope that the
> singularity is just a transition to a better life somewhere - um, I mean
> someWHEN - else...

a very good suggestion too. :)

Perhaps it's like passing through a corridor in flames:  you should run
towards the end of it... :P