POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Language Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Language (Message 21 to 30 of 30)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Language
Date: 19 Jan 2009 17:19:49
Message: <4974FCED.4030902@hotmail.com>
On 19-Jan-09 18:38, Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> Already seen it. (Why do you think I picked that example?) I'm still
>> wondering just how large a typical vocabulary is. I'm guessing tens of
>> thousands of words, roughly.
>
> Probably.
>
> An easier measure is "how many different words show up in a large
> newspaper over the course of a year". The answer there, I've heard, is
> around 8000-10000 words.

That will give you the number of words an IQ of 90 is supposed to have.
So it may give a lower bound your actual number could be a much higher.

> Counting words in a dictionary seems the wrong way to go.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 20 Jan 2009 05:43:33
Message: <4975aad5$1@news.povray.org>
> Sometimes I hear a piece of music that I haven't heard in a long time but
> had it e.g. on a cassette tape once. I still know every tick and speck of
> noise and what it faded into. When hearing a new arrangement of a familiar
> song I usually get it after a few lines and then remember often what line
> comes next. So for hundreds if not thousands of songs I both remember the
> instrumentation and errors, implying that I have at least a 'fourier
> transform' recorded and I have also stored the meaning, which is IIRC in a
> totally different place in the brain. Oh and I also do remember the video
> clip when hearing just the song.

I also seem to remember exactly which song *should* come after every song,
if I were listening to it on whatever old cassette/mix CD I originally had.

Post a reply to this message