POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Language : Re: Language Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Language
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 20 Jan 2009 09:57:12
Message: <4975e648$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> My mental movie quote database is definitely not lossy!

Oh, but it is, it is. You may remember pieces of this film, but no doubt
you could not recall every frame in exacting detail for the entire
length of the feature.

Hence it is in fact lossy. Though you my correlate some of the dialog of
the film with the film, and may be able to recall associated dialog,
it's guaranteed not to be exactly the same as it was. The information is
there, it's encoded, and it's indexed. And depending on how "important"
it was to you determines the depth of the compression.

I did not recognise the quote Andrew posted as being from Flight of the
Navigator, until you posted your response. Obviously that first part
wasn't in the index.

The further in the past you go, or the less you use the information, the
more compressed it gets. Thank goodness our computers don't forget
things like we do.

(Unless the hard drive crashes ... )

--
~Mike