POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Which would you buy? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Which would you buy? (Message 14 to 23 of 43)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Which would you buy?
Date: 6 Jan 2009 13:20:29
Message: <4963a0ed@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> No, the multiple fans make too much noise.

Especially under high load, I'd expect.

> (Not to mention the two blue
> LEDs illuminate the entire room sufficiently to enable photopic vision...)

You can't possibly believe this is difficult to solve.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Jan 2009 14:06:23
Message: <4963abaf$1@news.povray.org>
>> No, the multiple fans make too much noise. (Not to mention the two blue
>> LEDs illuminate the entire room sufficiently to enable photopic vision...)
>
> 1) Move it to another room?

This requires the avilability of a room to move it to. (This isn't my
house, remember?)

> 2) Buy a quieter case. There are ones which are really quiet.

Well, buy a whole new PC perhaps... This one is powered by a lowly
Athlon64 X2 4200+. Cutting edge a while back, but obsolete now.

Most of the noise, however, comes from the GPU fan. And the 4 HDs...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> No, the multiple fans make too much noise.
>
> Especially under high load, I'd expect.

There is no noticable variation in the loudness of the system. It sounds
just as loud under no load as it does with 100% CPU and GPU load and all
drives thrashing madly.

>> (Not to mention the two blue LEDs illuminate the entire room
>> sufficiently to enable photopic vision...)
>
> You can't possibly believe this is difficult to solve.

No. But given the noise problem, I have little incentive to dismantle
the case to try to figure out how to disable the fan LEDs without
disabling the fans themselves.

Post a reply to this message

> No. But given the noise problem, I have little incentive to dismantle the
> case to try to figure out how to disable the fan LEDs without disabling
> the fans themselves.

     Erm, electrical tape? (Wasn't this discussed here recently?)

      ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

>>> No, the multiple fans make too much noise.
>>
>> Especially under high load, I'd expect.
>
> There is no noticable variation in the loudness of the system. It sounds
> just as loud under no load as it does with 100% CPU and GPU load and all
> drives thrashing madly.

Running Windows? Go google for "speedfan" and throw it on there. It takes
some playing to get right, sometimes.

>>> (Not to mention the two blue LEDs illuminate the entire room
>>> sufficiently to enable photopic vision...)
>>
>> You can't possibly believe this is difficult to solve.
>
> No. But given the noise problem, I have little incentive to dismantle
> the case to try to figure out how to disable the fan LEDs without
> disabling the fans themselves.

Have you ever heard of ... electrical tape?  Blue light is blocked by some
very tiny bits of matter.