POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 22:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Just a passing thought on religion (Message 17 to 26 of 176)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: Just a passing thought on religion
Date: 21 Dec 2008 20:13:18
Message: <494ee9ae@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Well, the existence of the "soul" is another question. One can
> reasonably question what is even meant by "the soul".

I completely agree.  Since the question was phrased in religious terms I
was merely trying to phrase the answer in the same way as well.
Personally, I'm iffy enough on what "free will" means and how to make it
coherent to actually attempt to argue about something more difficult
still like a soul.

> That's not how the "first cause" argument is usually argued - I've never
> seen an argument that uncaused events can be caused by conciousness.
> Generally, the uncaused events are caused by a god, and the god doesn't
> need a cause because he's always been present.

I haven't seen it argued this way either, but I'd be quite surprised if
the argument isn't commonly considered in more modern philosophical
discussions of the topic.  It seems like a pretty natural response, and
fits well with the sort of dualistic conception of the mind taken by
many religious people.

> Then, of course, you can get into an argument over what "consciousness"
> is, but that's another argument and (in my opinion) rather easier to
> discuss.

A completely agree.  Though technically speaking the argument still
works if you replace "conscious agent" with "free agent".  It's just
that (in my view) our conception of free will is so closely tied with
our concept on consciousness (however vague) that it's more intuitively
compelling to state it that way.

Said differently, you only need to push the argument to one about
consciousness to the degree that you believe free will necessitates
consciousness, although it's probably reasonable for a proponent to take
that view as a "free but not conscious" God is a rather odd concept.

> Yes it would.  (Actually, I suspect anyone who would actually argue with
> me this way is far beyond convincing, but that's another question.)

But at least they could also be rational in being unconvinced!

Post a reply to this message