POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
9 Oct 2024 23:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Shay
Date: 22 Dec 2008 15:27:17
Message: <494FF769.2090606@none.none>
Chambers wrote:

> Now, quantum interactions appear random to us, but if it were possible
> to "zoom in" sufficiently, we might determine otherwise.

I haven't spent much time contemplating or studying physics, but this is
my basic understanding of it.

1. The universe is made of particles which behave in predictable ways.
2. A tiny group of people with very expensive tools have seen what
looked like particles behaving in unpredictable ways.

This has led to the conclusion by some that chaos or randomness is a
force in the universe just like gravity but a bit harder to demonstrate
or conceptualize. Seems hasty to me, but they know a lot more than I do.

What I wonder is: if chaos can be accepted as a natural force, why can't
consciousness? Is there a logical argument against consciousness
affecting our particles towards non-deterministic behavior?

A lot of very smart people believed the Earth was flat.

  -Shay