POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 21 Dec 2008 20:20:48
Message: <494eeb70$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> Now, quantum interactions appear random to us, but if it were possible
>> to "zoom in" sufficiently, we might determine otherwise.
>
> As I understand it, this has been conclusively disproven in ways not too
> difficult to understand.

Unless you mean merely to imply that such "zooming in" is theoretically
impossible, to my (very limited) knowledge on this subject I don't think
that this is true.  At least as far as classical quantum mechanics is
concerned, it is possible for the predictions to arise from entirely
deterministic, with the caveat that you have to allow for
faster-than-light interactions.

The most relevant theorem is known as Bell's theorem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem, which you may remember
was employed in the paper arguing against Wolfram's CA view of physics
that I linked for you.

In fact, a deterministic interpretation of quantum mechanics has been
mathematically laid out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohm_interpretation, although I don't know
how well it lends itself to attempts to unify it with general relativity
(although afaik, it's not clear how well standard QM is either).