POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Problem of the day Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Problem of the day (Message 15 to 24 of 34)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Problem of the day
Date: 17 Dec 2008 16:10:01
Message: <web.494969c49d23319eabad780@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> If you have a box with N balls numbered 1 to N, and you repeatedly pull one
> out at random (replacing it each time), on average how many times would you
> expect to pull out a ball until you have seen all the balls 1 to N?

For sufficiently large N, I'd expect to keep pulling out balls until I die. I
guess something in the order of N=1000 should be sufficient for this.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Dec 2008 17:03:26
Message: <4949772e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   You are thinking it in the wrong way.
>
>   The very first time you select one ball, the probability it's a ball you
> have never seen before is 1.
>
>   The second time you select a ball, the probability it's a ball you have
> never seen before is (N-1)/N.
>
>   With the third ball, the probability is (N-2)/N. And so on.

As with most mathematical problems, it's trivially easy once you already
know what the answer is... :-}

(And let's not forget, I have the lowest IQ in this newsgroup...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/