POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Problem of the day : Re: Problem of the day Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem of the day
From: scott
Date: 18 Dec 2008 02:38:41
Message: <4949fe01@news.povray.org>
>>I have often wondered this, occasionally looked for the answer, and never
>>really needed to know enough to work it out from first principles.
>
> Strange, I've never wondered about it o_O

Hehe, the exact problem I was applying it to was that I needed to save all
the possible images generated by some website, I knew there was a certain
number of possibilities and that it was random that each one appeared, so I
just wondered how many times I would need to try before I got all of them.

I didn't need to know exactly, eg if N=100, am I expecting 150 tries, 200
tries, 500 tries?  But knowing the exact formula would be cool as it seemed
an interesting problem without an obvious result.

Another situation I can think of is if you need to check every item in a
physical population, but you can only select ones at random (eg tagging fish
in a lake or something).