POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Problem of the day : Re: Problem of the day Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem of the day
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 18 Dec 2008 04:09:01
Message: <op.umco07ywmn4jds@phils.mshome.net>
And lo On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 08:26:56 -0000, scott <sco### [at] scottcom> did
spake thusly:

>>> Do a search for Coupon Collector's Problem. For equal random drawings
>>> it's roughly nHn that is n * Sum k=1-n of 1/k multiplied by n
>>

>> Brain death! - n * Sum k=1-n of 1/k
>
> Thanks Phil, when you know what it's called it's easy to find.

Indeed, one of the major difficulties in research is trying to guess what
someone else might have named their solution ;-)

> So, my answer is that the expected number of drawings to get all balls
> is given by:
>
> E[T] = n*(1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... 1/n)
>
> Cool neat little formula :-)

Yup, of course as you recognise it's only an estimate the lower bound
being n and the upper bound being infinity; there's no reason why you
can't be pulling out the same number over and over again although you
might suspect a fiddle if it yields a high mean absolute error.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com