POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Problem of the day : Re: Problem of the day Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem of the day
From: Florian Pesth
Date: 18 Dec 2008 02:55:41
Message: <494a01fd$1@news.povray.org>
Am Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:49:38 +0100 schrieb scott:

> If you have a box with N balls numbered 1 to N, and you repeatedly pull
> one out at random (replacing it each time), on average how many times
> would you expect to pull out a ball until you have seen all the balls 1
> to N?

Without looking at the other solutions (and excluding the trivial case),
I would guess, that such average number does not exist. There is the real
possibility of always pulling the same ball. In fact there is an infinite
number of such combinations, where you can pull balls without ever
getting all the balls. If the pulling of balls is truely random and
independently, such combinations are not less likely (seems unintuitive,
but there is no way of predicting which ball you will pull based on which
balls you already pulled). In this case the infinite sum is diverging and
you can't calculate an average.