POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : infested computers - how does it happen? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  infested computers - how does it happen? (Message 1 to 10 of 61)
From: stbenge
Subject: infested computers - how does it happen?
Date: 4 Dec 2008 16:58:20
Message: <4938527c$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

A couple weeks ago my little brother stayed the weekend. He brought his
computer along with him, because he's as much a digital junkie as I am.
I thought I would install Phun for him, since he's really into mechanics
and physics-based mayhem in general. But every time I tried to navigate
through directories, Vista would pop up with a message telling me that
his computer may be infected with spyware or a virus. I got to looking,
and sure enough, there's like twenty icons in the system tray, and a
bunch of unusual tasks running behind the curtain. Toolbar this, agent
that. It was ridiculous. My little brother had no idea what half of that
stuff was. So I headed to the control panel, to see what I could
uninstall. It was like a battlefield, with the computer side losing. I
did the best I could, deleting every potentially malignant piece of
worthless software I could find.

My question is how does does this happen? And why does it happen to some
people more than others? How can a person be downloading and installing
software without even knowing it? All I can guess is that it must be
like what I experienced a few weeks back, when I accidentally clicked
"yes" to a pop-up dialog. (my one and only incident in over ten years of
computing [yes, I'm proud])

Do any of you out there know people who always seem to have infested
computers? Can you spot a pattern of (mis)use which may be valuable to
help these people keep their computers healthy?

Sam

Post a reply to this message