POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : infested computers - how does it happen? : Re: infested computers - how does it happen? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: infested computers - how does it happen?
From: Warp
Date: 5 Dec 2008 06:54:39
Message: <4939167f@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> I have a friend who is exactly like this, I had fixed some software issues
> on his computer a number of times, then finally a stick of RAM went bad and
> I built him a new PC with a fresh installation of XP.  Within a few weeks he
> called me up to go and take a look because it wasn't working.  What he had
> done was incredible, not only had he downloaded and installed almost every
> piece of anti-virus/spyware/malware software in existence, he had installed
> all sorts of dodgy software when prompted with "Your computer seems to have
> a virus, install XXXXX to fix it".  The result was a huge mess, I have no
> idea whether he actually had a virus or not, but it wouldn't have made any
> difference.  I fixed it for him by just reinstalling XP, installed ONE AV
> software and told him that it would catch absolutely everything so no need
> to install any other anti-whatever software.  Haven't heard from him since!

  I once knew a person who told me that he wanted to "try linux", and that
he downloaded it and ran it, and that it broke his IE because its home page
would always go to a porn site even if he tried to change it.

  Given that linux is not something you simply "download and run" in Windows,
I don't have the faintest idea what exactly is it that he downloaded and ran.
Clearly whatever he did, whether it was that thing he downloaded, or
something else along the way, he got a IE homepage hijacker. But the way he
described it made it clear that he thought that "linux" was something which
breaks your IE.

  He ended up reinstalling the whole XP because of a homepage hijacker.
(He clearly didn't know what malware and homepage hijackers are, nor ever
heard of malware removal tools.)

  I'm pretty sure that to this day he is still convinced that "linux" is
something which breaks your IE.

--
                                                          - Warp