POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : infested computers - how does it happen? : Re: infested computers - how does it happen? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: infested computers - how does it happen?
From: scott
Date: 5 Dec 2008 02:43:59
Message: <4938dbbf@news.povray.org>
> Do any of you out there know people who always seem to have infested
> computers? Can you spot a pattern of (mis)use which may be valuable to
> help these people keep their computers healthy?

I have a friend who is exactly like this, I had fixed some software issues
on his computer a number of times, then finally a stick of RAM went bad and
I built him a new PC with a fresh installation of XP.  Within a few weeks he
called me up to go and take a look because it wasn't working.  What he had
done was incredible, not only had he downloaded and installed almost every
piece of anti-virus/spyware/malware software in existence, he had installed
all sorts of dodgy software when prompted with "Your computer seems to have
a virus, install XXXXX to fix it".  The result was a huge mess, I have no
idea whether he actually had a virus or not, but it wouldn't have made any
difference.  I fixed it for him by just reinstalling XP, installed ONE AV
software and told him that it would catch absolutely everything so no need
to install any other anti-whatever software.  Haven't heard from him since!