POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Haskell (Message 1 to 10 of 106)
From: Saul Luizaga
Subject: Haskell
Date: 27 Nov 2008 22:21:34
Message: <492f63be@news.povray.org>
My impressions so far, to whom may concern:

I read a bit of http://haskell.org/ and from
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/index.html also downloaded and installed GHC
(400+ MB installed which I find great) but.... no IDE, to make libraries
and .dll u need this thing (can't remember the name) that need this
other thing (Cywin) to emulate a Linux enviroment and get compiled so it
can be used and the 'darcs' thing to do a kind of repository and the
other thing to do documentation...

I think all of them are goo ideas, what I don't like it is the PIA of
learn how to compile them, compile them, learn how to use it SEPARATELY
and finally start to gather all the DISPERSE tutorials and find what
BROKEN links doesn't show to stat learning the language. Which is not as
easy to read for non-experienced programmers, even the intro text said
it is, I understood better Rubi and Python (a Fibonacci example), wtf!
I'm not saying is hard but is not simple nor obvious, is something in
the middle I think. No doubt it's what I'm looking for in a language,
simple yet powerfull, but u need to go deep into it to learn how to make
fast and/or small .exe files that can compete with C.

In short: is a PIA that is worth suffering it, so I'm not going to quit,
I'm going to continue reading and searching and downloading and
searching some more other peaces as I need them along. I see this
project has come a long way for a freeware, powerful, very smart,
programming language but ir really needs to put things together (IDE,
GHC, the .dll/libraries making thing, doc making thing and darcs in a
funtional package ALREADY COMPILED) and have better support (too much
disperse info and broken links).

Any advise would be VERY WELCOME, thx for ur time.

Post a reply to this message