POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell : Re: Haskell Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Nov 2008 07:36:06
Message: <492fe5b6@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> AFAIK, when you install a C compiler, you don't get OpenGL bindings,
>
>   It depends on the C compiler. Some come bundled with OpenGL libraries.
>
>> a parser library, 4 seperate multithreading tools, a set of container
>> libraries, graph theory libraries...
>
>   C++ is a bit better in this regard. Just because of the C++ standard,
> compilers have to come with tons of libraries. And often they come with
> tons of third-party libraries as well (eg. the boost library collection
> is usually bundled with most linux systems alongside gcc).

Certainly the C++ containers library seems quite nice.

The thing is, the collection of libraries that come with GHC is...
pretty random, actually. E.g., there's a library for OpenGL, but there's
no GUI library (and hence no way to *use* OpenGL).

>   I think one of Haskell's major problems is that nobody has made an
> advanced compiler for Windows, and the existing Haskell compilers only
> rely on inconvenient cygwin ports.

Well, the Windows version of GHC is maintained and tested by the core
GHC development team. (And, for example, it comes with bindings to the
Win32 API - incomplete though it is.) And the Cygwin thing isn't as
inconvenient as it sounds... but yeah, this really needs to change.

Apparently a long-term goal is to remove the C compiler completely, but
the internal code generator needs improving first. It's a long-term
project that they've been working on for years, but there's no much
visibly happening at the surface on this particular work item.

Of course, this is an open-source project. I suppose if it annoys me so
much, I should go fix it myself.

I mean, as if I could *ever* do something like that...