POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  Haskell (Message 71 to 80 of 106)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Haskell
Date: 15 Dec 2008 18:03:25
Message: <4946e23d@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> IIRC the length was such that when the telephone switched to switched
> packets this was what could fit in one packet.

Yes. It was intended for use by people actually installing the network. Then
they figured out they could charge five dollars a kilobyte or something.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 15 Dec 2008 18:08:28
Message: <4946e36b@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> IIRC the length was such that when the telephone switched to switched
>> packets this was what could fit in one packet.
>
> Yes. It was intended for use by people actually installing the network.
> Then they figured out they could charge five dollars a kilobyte or
> something.

And even then, it was marketed as a way for people to send a SMS home
saying "I'm stuck in traffic". Not for people to send a hundred messages
back and forth, making a long conversation they could have in a tenth of
the time by *talking* on the damn phone. But as soon as cellphone companies
noticed it was used for the latter... Well, the more money the better!

All the use I give to my cellphone is about one SMS a day. "Mom, I arrived"
basically :)

Post a reply to this message