POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell : Re: Haskell Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 15 Dec 2008 18:08:28
Message: <4946e36b@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> IIRC the length was such that when the telephone switched to switched
>> packets this was what could fit in one packet.
>
> Yes. It was intended for use by people actually installing the network.
> Then they figured out they could charge five dollars a kilobyte or
> something.

And even then, it was marketed as a way for people to send a SMS home
saying "I'm stuck in traffic". Not for people to send a hundred messages
back and forth, making a long conversation they could have in a tenth of
the time by *talking* on the damn phone. But as soon as cellphone companies
noticed it was used for the latter... Well, the more money the better!

All the use I give to my cellphone is about one SMS a day. "Mom, I arrived"
basically :)