POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Be very very quiet Server Time
10 Sep 2024 01:36:06 EDT (-0400)
  Be very very quiet (Message 391 to 400 of 618)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Be very very quiet
Date: 12 Feb 2009 06:36:16
Message: <2d28p4dpagds0mn17t7a14arfhv05skgt5@4ax.com>
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:40:50 -0000, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:

>"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote in message
>
>> There are strong links between Scotland and Jamaica, both being points on
>> the
>> slave triangle. During my time in Kingston I saw lots of Scottish place
>> names
>> and my wife was asked by a musing cab driver why that could be. There
>> followed a
>> moments silence and a "Respect, man" LOL
>
>    Heh...  :)

The most uncomfortable phrase I often heard was "White Slave Masters" <Gulp>
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Feb 2009 14:42:33
Message: <49947ba9$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:34:03 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>Then logically, if I want to stick to the Northern line, I guess it has
>>to be East Finchley.
>>
> We are getting closer to Watford and "here by tygers"
>
> Golders Green

Burnt Oak.  We're running out of Northern Line, will be interested to see
where you go from there. :-)

>>> OMG! Work on a production system. Scarey :)
>>
>>Well, not really - it was work on a part of the system I know inside and
>>out in my sleep.  It just took some time is all.
>
> I know ;)

It was actually a lot of fun, got to use tools I was trained on but only
rarely used at all (of course, low-level database editing is ugly and
there was one misstep, not a critical one, but caused by the fact that
remote controlling a remote control session by remote control (yes, three
redirections) caused me to type CTRL-U and for it to be repeated about 50
times on the target system.  Whoops.

> But when you (me) work in development systems 99.99% of the time "Prod"
> is the big black beast :)

Yeah, there is that. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 12 Feb 2009 16:30:22
Message: <1359p45qb5hht9eo3lo5f289e5qjvcndsv@4ax.com>
On 12 Feb 2009 14:42:33 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:34:03 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>>>Then logically, if I want to stick to the Northern line, I guess it has
>>>to be East Finchley.
>>>
>> We are getting closer to Watford and "here by tygers"
>>
>> Golders Green
>
>Burnt Oak.  We're running out of Northern Line, will be interested to see
>where you go from there. :-)

I'll take the HA8 to Stanmore and see if the Harrow Computer Club is having a
meeting. It is the oldest Computer Club in England and I'm one of the youngest
members :)

>>>Well, not really - it was work on a part of the system I know inside and
>>>out in my sleep.  It just took some time is all.
>>
>> I know ;)
>
>It was actually a lot of fun, got to use tools I was trained on but only
>rarely used at all (of course, low-level database editing is ugly and
>there was one misstep, not a critical one, but caused by the fact that
>remote controlling a remote control session by remote control (yes, three
>redirections) caused me to type CTRL-U and for it to be repeated about 50
>times on the target system.  Whoops.

Rather you than me.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Feb 2009 17:49:19
Message: <4994a76f@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:30:16 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>Burnt Oak.  We're running out of Northern Line, will be interested to
>>see where you go from there. :-)
>>
> I'll take the HA8 to Stanmore and see if the Harrow Computer Club is
> having a meeting. It is the oldest Computer Club in England and I'm one
> of the youngest members :)

Hmmm, interesting move, and somewhat unexpected, largely because I'm
unfamiliar with the bus routes. :-)

I think I should start heading to GLLUG, then - looks like the
Metropolitan line gets me closest, so I need to switch over at our next
stop, which would be Wembley Park.

>>> I know ;)
>>
>>It was actually a lot of fun, got to use tools I was trained on but only
>>rarely used at all (of course, low-level database editing is ugly and
>>there was one misstep, not a critical one, but caused by the fact that
>>remote controlling a remote control session by remote control (yes,
>>three redirections) caused me to type CTRL-U and for it to be repeated
>>about 50 times on the target system.  Whoops.
>>
> Rather you than me.

Funny, that's what the guys in Worldwide Support said.  Fortunately the
repair tool seems to have undone the deletion of the supervisor
account. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 13 Feb 2009 11:53:22
Message: <p09bp4ha302m664op5ohi9fi9j461psapn@4ax.com>
On 12 Feb 2009 17:49:19 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:30:16 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>>>Burnt Oak.  We're running out of Northern Line, will be interested to
>>>see where you go from there. :-)
>>>
>> I'll take the HA8 to Stanmore and see if the Harrow Computer Club is
>> having a meeting. It is the oldest Computer Club in England and I'm one
>> of the youngest members :)
>
>Hmmm, interesting move, and somewhat unexpected, largely because I'm
>unfamiliar with the bus routes. :-)
>
>I think I should start heading to GLLUG, then - looks like the
>Metropolitan line gets me closest, so I need to switch over at our next
>stop, which would be Wembley Park.

What! No Flame Wars here :)

Let's visit the dummies at Madame Tussauds.
Baker St.

> the deletion of the supervisor account. :)

???

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Feb 2009 13:16:22
Message: <4995b8f6$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:53:14 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>I think I should start heading to GLLUG, then - looks like the
>>Metropolitan line gets me closest, so I need to switch over at our next
>>stop, which would be Wembley Park.
>>
> What! No Flame Wars here :)

Who said anything about a flame war?  We're just going from "oldest
group" to "newest group" - opposite ends of the same spectrum. ;-)

> Let's visit the dummies at Madame Tussauds. Baker St.

Nice, I meant to get there the last time we visited.  We might visit this
year, still working out the details.

Mill Hill East - gotta avoid that retrograde inversion.

>> the deletion of the supervisor account. :)
>>
> ???

NetWare server.  There's an account even on current versions that's a
throwback to the versions from the early 90's.  It's a hard-coded account
that normally can't be deleted, but the tool I was using (an internal
support tool) can whack anything out of the database.

Thing is, when using the internal tool, CTRL-U removes the entry in the
database that you're looking at, and it reverts to what's called the
"Entry ID" or "EID" with the lowest value:  The SUPERVISOR account
(EID=1).

The tool does have a prompt to "press any key to continue", but it
accepts CTRL-U as one of the "any keys".

So if you end up pressing CTRL-U and it repeats for some reason, you end
up whacking SUPERVISOR.

It's not used for anything important any more, but it still was a
surprise.  I was even more surprised that the database repair tool fixed
it (I didn't think it would do that).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Feb 2009 14:38:41
Message: <7b7ep4p4cgouh8sn9bhpdp1g1ig1ffqsku@4ax.com>
On 13 Feb 2009 13:16:22 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>Mill Hill East - gotta avoid that retrograde inversion.

Almost boxed in. So I'll skip to Cricklewood.

>>> the deletion of the supervisor account. :)
>>>
>> ???
>
>NetWare server.

>The tool does have a prompt to "press any key to continue", but it
>accepts CTRL-U as one of the "any keys".
>
>So if you end up pressing CTRL-U and it repeats for some reason, you end
>up whacking SUPERVISOR.

That's an Oops! :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Feb 2009 15:00:20
Message: <499722d4$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 19:38:22 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 13 Feb 2009 13:16:22 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>
>>Mill Hill East - gotta avoid that retrograde inversion.
>>
> Almost boxed in. So I'll skip to Cricklewood.

Well, if you want to go to the overground, I guess that'll do the trick.
In which case, I must continue to Finchley Road & Frognal‎ just because
anything with "Frog" in it must be used at least once.

>>> ???
>>
>>NetWare server.

>>The tool does have a prompt to "press any key to continue", but it
>>accepts CTRL-U as one of the "any keys".
>>
>>So if you end up pressing CTRL-U and it repeats for some reason, you end
>>up whacking SUPERVISOR.
>>
> That's an Oops! :)

Major oops. ;-)

Not that I couldn't have recreated it by hand (being trained on the
database editor has its uses), but the system fixed it on its own, much
to my surprise.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 15 Feb 2009 04:11:28
Message: <atmfp41d8spc55okqq980dtrb6ibr9k7t4@4ax.com>
On 14 Feb 2009 15:00:20 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>Well, if you want to go to the overground, I guess that'll do the trick.
>In which case, I must continue to Finchley Road & Frognal? just because
>anything with "Frog" in it must be used at least once.

Well if you like kissing amphibians we could go to the Frog & Forget-Me-Not,
Clapham Common but that would mean crossing the river. So lets oft to The Frog
Inn the Bedford, Fulham.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Feb 2009 13:07:12
Message: <499859d0@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 09:11:05 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2009 15:00:20 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>

>>Well, if you want to go to the overground, I guess that'll do the trick.
>>In which case, I must continue to Finchley Road & Frognal? just because
>>anything with "Frog" in it must be used at least once.
>
> Well if you like kissing amphibians we could go to the Frog &
> Forget-Me-Not, Clapham Common but that would mean crossing the river. So
> lets oft to The Frog Inn the Bedford, Fulham.

As long as we've got separate rooms. ;-)

All the talk about fish & chips means now I'm hungry; our local chip shop
was called "Picadilly Fish & Chips", so I think heading up the District
line to the Picadilly line is a good option, so let's head to Earl's
Court to switch lines.

Jim